Re: Checking a USB drive's capacity

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Mon Dec 22 2008 - 23:51:59 EST

Alan Stern wrote:
Jens:

As you may know, there are plenty of USB mass-storage devices that
respond incorrectly to READ CAPACITY: They report the total number of
blocks instead of the highest block number. As a result, the kernel thinks the drive has one more sector than it really does.

So far we have dealt with this problem by means of a blacklist, but
this gets more and more unsatisfactory all the time. We haven't been
able to find any other way to cope, since a few devices are so badly
behaved that they crash hard when you try to access the nonexistent
"last" sector, requiring a replug or power cycle.

My new idea is to keep in the blacklist only those devices which do
crash -- a relatively small number. Everything else we should be able
to detect safely at runtime, by testing if it's possible to read the
last sector.

The question is, how and where? The logical place for testing the
capacity is near the end of sd_read_capacity(). However this code runs
before any media accesses have occurred; the drive might not even be
spun up yet. Not to mention that it seems strange to read the last
sector before reading the first!

It seems to me that the safest solution would be to mark USB storage devices as unsafe for last-sector partition table probing, like some kind of CAPACITY_DUBIOUS flag, causing it to be skipped on these devices, at least by default. After all, it would seem quite unusual to see anything other than a DOS-style partition table on a USB storage device (or else no partition table at all).