Re: > I even didn't have a backtrace.

From: Bodo Eggert
Date: Mon Dec 29 2008 - 14:24:38 EST

Igor Podlesny <for.poige+linux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2008/12/29 Sitsofe Wheeler <sitsofe@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> Igor Podlesny wrote:

>>> BTW, I wonder -- can the kernel store crash related information (if
>>> any) in RAM, at certain addresses, so it can survive warm reboot and
>>> get displayed "in dmesg" on the next boot?
>>
>> Perhaps you are thinking of kdump - http://lwn.net/Articles/108595/ ?
>
> Similar, but no exactly. I just thought that unlikely BIOS erases
> memory content during "fast checks", so kernel diagnostic could be
> left at certain addresses, probably duplicated for safety, and newly
> booted kernel could check if there were something left for it in RAM.
> That's simpler than kdump/kexec, the question is only whether memory
> is really left intact during BIOS work, at least partly.

You may want to read "ISA System Architecture
By Tom Shanley, Don Anderson, John Swindle, MindShare, Inc"

http://books.google.com/books?id=iXE6mwUCNWQC&pg=PA110&lpg=PA112&ots=ZH_c88LEqd&dq=post+reset+flag+0072+0040&ie=ISO-8859-1&output=htmlhttp://books.google.com/books?id=iXE6mwUCNWQC&pg=PA112&lpg=PA112&dq=post+reset+flag+0072+0040&source=web&ots=ZH_c88LEqd&sig=3EbSpcxbKrPvd1ixhysJK4AuOrA&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=1&ct=result

HTH.