Re: IRC?

From: lmage11
Date: Mon Dec 29 2008 - 21:30:16 EST

---- Kyle Moffett <kyle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 29, 2008 at 8:40 PM, Jesper Juhl <jj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > IRC channels can be a nice suplement when a few people need to discuss
> > something in semi-real-time related to some LKML thread or just some
> > kernel related topic, but it's no replacement for the mailing list.
>
> Especially considering that LKML can reach up to 60 lines per second
> for sustained periods of time during certain discussions, even
> excluding patch content. With subject filters and threading, that's
> perfectly OK. With a single big honkin' IRC channel it is beyond
> useless.

Aside from the fact that I'm not proposing a complete replacement, there
wouldn't have to be "a single big honkin' IRC channel" - as I said, there
could be a big general one for people who don't know exactly where to look
yet, and a bunch of smaller ones for each subsystem where the actual
discussion happens.

Ari