Re: early exception error

From: david
Date: Thu Jan 01 2009 - 00:15:16 EST

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009, Andi Kleen wrote:

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 12:59:08PM -0800, david@xxxxxxx wrote:
On Wed, 31 Dec 2008, Andi Kleen wrote:

on the picture you sent me i noticed the message
"Your memory is not aligned you need to rebuild your
kernel with bigger NODEMAP SIZE shift=20" and then
srat code complains about "No NUMA code hash function found"
which looks a bit scary. Btw, could you post this picture
on some public resource so NUMA people could check it?

This case used to be handled cleanly (NUMA disabled), but perhaps
that has regressed. But still it sounds like something is going wrong,
unless his machine really has a very weird memory map.

it shouldn't, it was one of the high-volume servers 4-5 years ago and only
has 4G of ram in it

From looking at the screenshot Cyrill sent you seem to have a funny
SRAT with overlapping areas that is rejected in the end. I suspect the
fallback code doesn't handle this properly.

Does it work when you boot with numa=noacpi ?

it gets past the point where the bootmemory_debug messages flow by, but I get another oops (snapshot of the screen is at http://linux.lang.hm/linux/IMG00031.jpg )

David Lang