Re: x86 (Linux Tiny): configure out support for some processors

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Fri Jan 02 2009 - 10:39:59 EST

On Fri, 02 Jan 2009 20:40:16 +0530, Jaswinder Singh Rajput said:

> If I know what is my CPU there is no point for supporting all related
> CPUs in my kernel.

EMBEDDED is for a large assortment of things, all of which are of the form:

General users won't want to change Y, but if I know I don't need Y, there is
no point in supporting Y in the kernel.

Y might be "this kernel doesn't need sysctl"
Y might be "support for hot-plug"
Y might be "printk"
Y might be "support generic CPUs"

See the pattern?

Yes, we probably could have come up with a better name than EMBEDDED for
that list of optionals.

CONFIG_TRAINED_TECHNICIANS_ONLY_NO_USER_SERVICABLE_PARTS_INSIDE maybe?