Re: Bug: Status/Summary of slashdot leap-second crash on new years 2008-2009

From: Linas Vepstas
Date: Fri Jan 02 2009 - 15:29:17 EST

2009/1/2 Diego Calleja <diegocg@xxxxxxxxx>:
> El Fri, 2 Jan 2009 13:25:38 -0600, "Linas Vepstas" <linasvepstas@xxxxxxxxx> escribiÃ:
>
>> Suspect its an kernel race condition triggered by ntp bumping the second.
>
> How could I create a test case that reproduces what ntp does? Just add
> a second?

It might be more subtle than that. One of these cases is discussed in a
Debian mailing list thread, where one user claims his hardware clock runs
so poorly, it loses second every hour, and he doesn't have problems.
ntp normally drifts to adjust time; for exceptional jumps in time, it won't
drift, but just set.

There's another thread of bug reports on Oracle servers (linux based) which
appearently hit the same problem, although they think it has something to
do with a backwards leap-second jump.

--linas