Re: Power Management with rootfs on SDMMC.

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Sat Jan 03 2009 - 22:00:10 EST

On Sat, 3 Jan 2009, Alan Cox wrote:

> I don't believe "auto-destroy my music collection" is a sane default...

You are missing the point.

You have one totally made-up example of something that may happen as a
result of a default I didn't even advocate (but you didn't read my email).

And you use that as an argument against another case that wasn't even made
up, but a real issue where suspend simply didn't work, because the /home
partition no longer worked afterwards.

There really was nothing theoretical in my issue. On a certain class of
hardware, you absolutely _have_ to make your /home or / partition be
behind a USB thing, because nothing else has enough space on it.

And your made-up example wouldn't even trigger if we just made a per-mount
decision to mark devices persistent.

So why are you arguing?

Linus