Re: document ext3 requirements

From: Valdis . Kletnieks
Date: Sat Jan 03 2009 - 22:53:46 EST

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 00:41:51 GMT, Duane Griffin said:

> I agree, it isn't a great situation. Nonetheless, it has always been
> thus for ext3, and so far we've muddled along. Unless and until we can
> replay the journal in-memory without touching the on-disk data, we are
> stuck with it.

Is there a way using md/dm/lvm etc to make the source partition R/O and
replay the journal onto a CoW snapshop? Admittedly, not easy to do inside
the 'mount' command itself, but at least it might be workable for LiveCD R/O
mounts and forensics work, where you can *tell* beforehand that's what you
want and can jump through setup games before doing the mount...