Re: document ext3 requirements

From: Duane Griffin
Date: Sun Jan 04 2009 - 14:51:40 EST

2009/1/4 Theodore Tso <tytso@xxxxxxx>:
> On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 08:21:06PM +0100, Geert Uytterhoeven wrote:
>> As for mounting the root file system read-only during early boot up, and
>> remounting it read-write later, I guess it's quite complicated to replay the
>> journal (in RAM) on read-only mount, and deferring the replay writeback until
>> remounting read-write?
>
> It's not *that* hard; if someone would like to cons up a patch, please
> feel free.... but it's certainly not a high priority for me or most
> of the other ext3 filesystem developers.

If anyone is interested I'd be happy to dust off and send them my old
patches to implement this. There are a couple of issues with it.
First, I never got around to implementing remount R/W support. Second,
I had to introduce a rather nasty hack in order to handle un-escaping
JFS magic numbers.

> - Ted

Cheers,
Duane.

--
"I never could learn to drink that blood and call it wine" - Bob Dylan