Re: [RFC, PATCH] kernel/rcu: add kfree_rcu

From: Manfred Spraul
Date: Mon Jan 05 2009 - 02:15:58 EST

Paul E. McKenney wrote:

I think these two are different questions.
vfree() still can not be called from softirq context now.
And I proposed vfree_atomic() for RCU, but it can not be accepted.

And one would indeed either need to have a vfree_atomic() or have some
mechanism that sent the vfree() to a workqueue or some such.
ipc/util.c uses a workqueue (ipc_schedule_free):
The semaphore array structure can be large (documented with SEMMSL=8000 around 16 kB, but there is no hard limit), thus vmalloc is used.

But as long as there are just one or two users, I doubt that a generic system is worth the effort.

--
Manfred