Re: Btrfs for mainline

From: J. Bruce Fields
Date: Mon Jan 05 2009 - 11:33:30 EST

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 08:18:58AM -0500, Chris Mason wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-01-05 at 21:07 +1100, Chris Samuel wrote:
> > On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 8:01:04 am Andi Kleen wrote:
> >
> > > When it's in mainline I suspect people will start using it for that.
> >
> > Some people don't even wait for that. ;-)
> >
> > Seriously though, if that is a concern can I suggest taking the btrfsdev route
> > and, if you want a real belt and braces approach, perhaps require it to have a
> > mandatory mount option specified to successfully mount, maybe "eat_my_data" ?
>
> I think ext4dev made more sense for ext4 because people generally expect
> ext* to be stable. Btrfs doesn't quite have the reputation for
> stability yet, so I don't feel we need a special -dev name for it.

Old kernel versions may still get booted after brtfs has gotten a
reputation for stability. E.g. if I move my / to brtfs in 2.6.34, then
one day need to boot back to 2.6.30 to track down some regression, the
reminder that I'm moving back to some sort of brtfs dark-ages might be
welcome.

(Not that I have particularly strong feelings about this.)

--b.