Re: document ext3 requirements

From: Theodore Tso
Date: Mon Jan 05 2009 - 14:17:52 EST

On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 01:56:32PM -0600, Rob Landley wrote:
> On Saturday 03 January 2009 17:01:58 Martin MOKREJÅ wrote:
> > > Still handy for recovering badly broken filesystems, I'd say.
> >
> > Me as well. How about improving you doc patch with some summary of
> > this thread (although it is probably not over yet)? ;-) Definitely,
> > a note that one can mount it as ext2 while read-only would be helpful
> > when doing some forensics on the disk.
>
> Although make sure you _do_ mount it as read only because if you mount an ext3
> filesystem read/write as ext2 I've had it zap the journal entirely and then
> you have to tune2fs -j the sucker to turn it back into ext3.
>
> Ext3 is... touchy.

Um.... horse pucky:

# mke2fs -q -t ext3 /dev/thunk/footest
# debugfs -R features /dev/thunk/footest
debugfs 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
Filesystem features: has_journal ext_attr resize_inode dir_index filetype sparse_super large_file
# mount -t ext2 /dev/thunk/footest /mnt
# touch /mnt/foo
# umount /mnt
# debugfs -R features /dev/thunk/footest
debugfs 1.41.3 (12-Oct-2008)
Filesystem features: has_journal ext_attr resize_inode dir_index filetype sparse_super large_file

- Ted