Re: document ext3 requirements

From: Sitsofe Wheeler
Date: Mon Jan 05 2009 - 15:36:49 EST

Theodore Tso wrote:
Don't forget non-cheasy mounting options so an accidental brush
against the side of the unit doesn't cause the hard drive to become
disconnected from system and suffer a power drop. I guess that gets
filed under "Brute force" as well. :-)

Are you thinking of sync? If so I have experience of this not helping with ext3 on an 8Gbyte SD card in an EeePC 900. Sooner or later a bunch of zeros overwrites the early part of the partition and an fsck tears the FS apart. This seems to happen quickly if you are booting your root from the SD card (no swap though). A FAT32 partition seems to be unperturbed so far (but it's not being used the same way as the ext3 partition).

P.S. I feel obliged to point out that in my Lenovo X61s, the SD card
is flush with the laptop case when inserted, and I've never had a
problem with the SD card prematurely ejected during operaiton. :-)

I have never had premature ejection of SD with my Eee...