Re: tip: bzip2/lzma now in tip:x86/setup-lzma

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Mon Jan 05 2009 - 17:11:26 EST

Alain Knaff wrote:
H. Peter Anvin wrote:
Well, I think the right thing to do at this stage is to simply compress
the initramfs with the preferred compression method (and if no
compression method is provided, with none.) This can be relatively
simply done with a script, I think.

Well, the problem is there is really no "preferred" method for the
ramdisk or initramfs. And picking the one from the kernel might not
work, because the user might have chosen to compress the kernel via
bzip2, but only allowed lzma and gzip for the ramdisk.

I'm thinking that with "preferred" we might just use the first one in the priority list "lzma, bzip2, gzip, uncompressed" depending on what is installed in the kernel.

Using the kernel method may definitely not work, especially on architectures which don't do this style of kernel compression.

-hpa