Re: ftrace breaks sparc64 build

From: Jan Beulich
Date: Tue Jan 06 2009 - 02:52:48 EST

>On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 07:48:44PM +0000, Al Viro wrote:
>> On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 07:19:22PM +0100, Sam Ravnborg wrote:
>> > With an allmodconfig build on sparc and sparc64 I started
>> > to see warnings that become propagated to errors by -Werror.
>>
>> While we are at it, sparc32 allmodconfig is broken by
>> commit 9bb482476c6c9d1ae033306440c51ceac93ea80c
>> Author: Jan Beulich <jbeulich@xxxxxxxxxx>
>> Date: Tue Dec 16 11:30:08 2008 +0000
>>
>> allow stripping of generated symbols under CONFIG_KALLSYMS_ALL
>>
>> Results in
>> sparc-linux-objcopy: not stripping symbol `__ksymtab_strings' because it is named in a relocation
>> sparc-linux-objcopy: not stripping symbol `__crc_per_cpu__softirq_work_list' because it is named in a relocation
>> sparc-linux-objcopy: not stripping symbol `__initcall_end' because it is named in a relocation
>> sparc-linux-objcopy: not stripping symbol `__setup_end' because it is named in a relocation
>> sparc-linux-objcopy: not stripping symbol `__setup_start' because it is named in a relocation
>> sparc-linux-objcopy: not stripping symbol `__initcall_start' because it is named in a relocation
>> make: *** [.tmp_vmlinux1.stripped] Error 1

The __crc_... reference is definitely bogus - none should survive with the
new .c->.o rule. Could you find out what object file they originate from?

The others look like a tools side behavioral difference, as I never saw any
such. Is this problem sparc32-specific (I tested x86 and ia64 only)? What's
the binutils version used?

Jan