Re: [git pull] device-mapper patches for 2.6.29

From: Stefan Richter
Date: Tue Jan 06 2009 - 07:01:10 EST

Cheng Renquan (çäå) wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 6, 2009 at 11:21 AM, Alasdair G Kergon <agk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jan 06, 2009 at 11:15:58AM +0800, Cheng Renquan (çäå) wrote:
>>> So now maybe we can add a null macro to module_refcount if
>>> CONFIG_MODULE_UNLOAD undefined?
>>
>> Do we even need the test at all?
>
> So you mean add "#ifdef CONFIG_MODULE_UNLOAD ..." to dm-target.c? I
> can do that, but I really don't know a better solution without
> conditional compiling?

The fact that module_refcount may be undefined is an indicator that this
is not an API for general use.

Why are you wanting to peek into the reference count of a module?
Shouldn't you have everything covered by properly recounting all your
data objects? (Preferably via the kref API.)
--
Stefan Richter