nosync, an idea for general filesystem mount flag

From: Eric Hopper
Date: Tue Jan 06 2009 - 13:49:27 EST

Maybe somebody has thought of this before. But I think it would be
useful to have a mount flag telling the filesystem layer that a certain
filesystem never ever needs to be synced, even when the 'sync' system
call is called.

My /tmp, for example, is reformatted on each and every boot. There is
no reason for anything written to /tmp to ever hit the disk. The only
reason is to make room for something else in memory.

I think this could potentially help out notebooks that only had solid
state drives.

Anyway, just a random thought,
--
I am not an LKML member, so please include me in the 'To' or 'Cc' field
if you want me to see your message. -- Eric Hopper (hopper ^at^