Re: [REGRESSION] Recent change to kernel spikes out ccache/distcc

From: Jan Beulich
Date: Wed Jan 07 2009 - 08:47:46 EST

>>> Sam Ravnborg <sam@xxxxxxxxxxxx> 07.01.09 14:23 >>>
>> >What is the gain/pain ratio here?
>>
>> Certainly depends on the pov - it reduces the kernel module (disk) image
>> sizes quite a bit, so from a distro perspective its a move against the ever
>> growing package sizes (and the disk space) hundreds or even thousands
>> of modules require.
>
>The kernel modules seldom export anything so the benefit is minimal here.

Not really, for highly modular distro kernels.

>I did a 15 minutes hack to try ripping the .c -> .s -> .o stuff out.

Looks good to me. In case you decide to revert the stuff for .29, I'll
merge this into my patch.

>Jan - I need some hard numbers to convince me that stripping the
>__crc symbols is worth it.

The on-disk size of the modules in my builds is reduced by about 5% with
this patch (but I can't immediately tell how much of this is due to __crc_*
vs. other symbol stripping).

Jan