Re: RFC: Network privilege separation.

From: Alan Cox
Date: Thu Jan 08 2009 - 05:43:07 EST

> Conclusion: so far as I can see, RLIMIT_NETWORK is, in every way, a smaller
> expansion of the end user's trusted code base and should therefore be preferred
> in comparison netfilter-based solutions for process-level network privilege
> separation tasks. Do you see things differently?

If you have the same uid then you can just use ptrace to drive another
task with that uid to do the creations for you. Chances are you can also
attack shared executable files (eg that uids .bashrc)

That to me says controlling network access is only useful as part of a
more fine grained and general purpose interface. We already have that
interface in the form of things like SELinux. We already have systems
actively using it to control stuff like which ports are accessed by some
services.

Alan