Re: Increase dirty_ratio and dirty_background_ratio?

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Thu Jan 08 2009 - 06:03:19 EST

On Wed, 07 Jan 2009 12:51:33 -0800 (PST) David Miller <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> From: Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Wed, 7 Jan 2009 08:39:01 -0800 (PST)

> > > Adding some CCs.
> > >
> > > The idea was that 40% of the memory is a _lot_ these days, and writeback
> > > times will be huge for those hitting sync or similar. By lowering these
> > > you'd smooth that out a bit.
> >
> > Not just a bit. If you have 4GB of RAM (not at all unusual for even just a
> > regular desktop, never mind a "real" workstation), it's simply crazy to
> > allow 1.5GB of dirty memory. Not unless you have a really wicked RAID
> > system with great write performance that can push it out to disk (with
> > seeking) in just a few seconds.
> >
> > And few people have that.
> >
> > For a server, where throughput matters but latency generally does not, go
> > ahead and raise it. But please don't raise it for anything sane. The only
> > time it makes sense upping that percentage is for some odd special-case
> > benchmark that otherwise can fit the dirty data set in memory, and never
> > syncs it (ie it deletes all the files after generating them).
> >
> > In other words, yes, 40% dirty can make a big difference to benchmarks,
> > but is almost never actually a good idea any more.
>
> I have to say that my workstation is still helped by reverting this
> change and all I do is play around in GIT trees and read email.

The kernel can't get this right - it doesn't know the usage
patterns/workloads, etc. It's rather disappointing that distros appear
to have put so little work into finding ways of setting suitable values
for this, and for other tunables.

Maybe we should set them to 1%, or 99% or something similarly stupid to
force the issue.

yes, perhaps the kernel's default percentage should be larger on
smaller-memory systems. And smaller on slow-disk systems. etc. But
initscripts already have all the information to do this, and have the
advantage that any such scripts are backportable to five-year-old kernels.

So I say leave it as-is. If suse can come up with a scriptlet which scales
this according to memory size, disk speed, workload, etc then good for
them - it'll produce a better end result.