Re: 2.6.29 -mm merge plans

From: Dmitri Monakhov
Date: Thu Jan 08 2009 - 10:52:56 EST

Dave Chinner <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> [...]
In fact ext3/4 opens transaction inside ->truncate() callback, but
because of function signature we can not properly handle any
errors inside truncate(see akpm's comment inside function)

>> > Sure. Maybe add a FIXME comment for now?
>>
>> Ok. I was planning to look into this again, and IIRC Dave already did
>> when he was at SGI, but his proof of concept patches got lost somewhere.
>
> Hmmmm - I think I posted the "it works for XFs but nothing else" POC
> patches to fsdevel when I first found this....
>
> <rummage>
>
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-fsdevel&m=120952722315259&w=2
>
> The thread starts here for those that want the whole story:
>
> http://marc.info/?l=linux-fsdevel&m=120946361527726&w=2
So AFAIU your proposal: for general(DIO_LOCKING) filesystems
ATTR_NO_LOCK means what i_mutex and i_alloc_sem already held.