Re: dw_dmac driver questions

From: Atsushi Nemoto
Date: Fri Jan 09 2009 - 09:06:39 EST

On Mon, 05 Jan 2009 23:02:30 +0900 (JST), Atsushi Nemoto <anemo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 23:39:32 +0900 (JST), Atsushi Nemoto <anemo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hi. I'm writing a new DMA driver, using dw_dmac driver in kernel
> > 2.6.28 as a reference implementation.
> >
> > I can see an outline of the dw_dmac driver and framework (well,
> > hopefully), but have some questions in details.
>
> One more.

One more again.

5. dwc_issue_pending()

Is this needed? The dwc_tx_submit might queue the descriptor, but it
should be issued automatically after completion of all descriptors in
active list.

It yes, it seems implementation like this would be possible:

* dwc_tx_submit() just always add the descriptor to queue list even if
active list was empty.

* dwc_issue_pending() call dwc_dostart() and move queued descriptor(s)
to active list, if the active list was empty.

But I'm not sure "chain as many as possible at a time" is really
better then "start engine as soon as possible".

---
Atsushi Nemoto