Re: [patch] measurements, numbers about CONFIG_OPTIMIZE_INLINING=yimpact

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Fri Jan 09 2009 - 12:16:19 EST

On Fri, 9 Jan 2009, Steven Rostedt wrote:

> I vote for the, get rid of the current inline, rename __always_inline to
> inline, and then remove all non needed inlines from the kernel.

This is what we do all the time, and historically have always done.

But
- CONFIG_OPTIMIZE_INLINING=y screws that up
and
- gcc still inlines even big functions static that have no markings at
all.

> We'll, probably start adding a lot more noinlines.

That's going to be very painful. Especially since the cases we really want
to not inline is the random drivers etc - generally not "hot in the
cache", but they are the ones that cause the most oopses (not per line,
but globally - because there's just so many drivers).

Linus