Re: [patch] measurements, numbers about CONFIG_OPTIMIZE_INLINING=yimpact

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Fri Jan 09 2009 - 13:11:25 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

So we do have special issues. And exactly _because_ we have special issues we should also expect that some compiler defaults simply won't ever really be appropriate for us.

That is, of course, true.

However, the Linux kernel (and quite a few other kernels) is a very important customer of gcc, and adding sustainable modes for the kernel that we can rely on is probably something we can work with them on.

I think the relationship between the gcc and Linux kernel people is unnecessarily infected, and cultivating a more constructive relationship would be good. I suspect a big part of the reason for the oddities is that the timeline for the kernel community from making a request into gcc until we can actually rely on it is *very* long, and so we end up having to working things around no matter what (usually with copious invective), and the gcc people have other customers with shorter lead times which therefore drive their development more.

-hpa