Re: FADT: X_PM1a_EVT_BLK.bit_width (16) does not match PM1_EVT_LEN (4)

From: Justin P. Mattock
Date: Sat Jan 10 2009 - 19:23:56 EST

Robert Hancock wrote:
Justin P. Mattock wrote:
Robert Hancock wrote:
Justin P. Mattock wrote:
I am seeing this in dmesg:
FADT: X_PM1a_EVT_BLK.bit_width (16) does not match PM1_EVT_LEN (4)
not sure what this is.
(the only changes to .config was add kexec,
coredump, and relocatable kernel options.)

I take it that I'm unable to try this relocatable
kernel stuff out.(x86_32)?

regards;

Justin P. Mattock

I believe that indicates your BIOS's FADT table contains inconsistent data. You're sure that only happens with those options set?

Well, the positive side is kexec
does work on macbook pro
(doesn't play so well with the xserver,
garbled screen.).

As for the FADT table, I reverted to an old
.config that has no new options in it, and sure enough
that message appeared. Looking back in my logs,
the last kernel commit I have is:
2.6.28-07485-g9e42d0c
that doesn't show such messages.

When examining this message
(not too familiar with FADT)
I see PM leading me to believe this maybe has to
do with the PM stuff.
(making me wonder, if this is the reason
suspend isn't working.just a black screen
upon wakeup); but like I said I'm not
familiar with that area.

According to the code comments in drivers/acpi/acpica/tbfadt.c:

* The PM event blocks are split into two register blocks, first is the
* PM Status Register block, followed immediately by the PM Enable
* Register block. Each is of length (xpm1x_event_block.bit_width/2).
*
* On various systems the v2 fields (and particularly the bit widths)
* cannot be relied upon, though. Hence resort to using the v1 length
* here (and warn about the inconsistency).

So it looks like it's fixing things up, so it's not really a problem, just warning about busted BIOS tables. Not impossible it's related to the resume problem, but wouldn't be the first thing I'd look at..

Well, as long as the system(or machine)
isn't going to blowup and disintegrate.
I'm fine with that. Thanks for giving me info
on this.

regards;

Justin P. Mattock