Re: source line numbers with x86_64 modules? [Was: Re: [patch]measurements, numbers about CONFIG_OPTIMIZE_INLINING=y impact]

From: Theodore Tso
Date: Sun Jan 11 2009 - 15:50:46 EST

On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 06:11:35PM +0800, Andreas Dilger wrote:
> I'm sad that netconsole/netdump never made it big. It was fairly useful,
> and extending the eth drivers to add the polling mode was trivial to do.
> We were using that for a few years, but it got replaced by kdump and it
> appears to be less usable IMHO.

The netdump I'm familiar with had the misfeature that it didn't do
packet retransmission, so when it was used on a customer network with
any amount of traffic, packets would get dropped and the crash dump
would utterly fail. I honestly can't remember which enterprise distro
shipped it, but I can't say I was terribly impressed. :-(

- Ted