Re: [RFC, PATCH] kernel/rcu: add kfree_rcu

From: Paul E. McKenney
Date: Mon Jan 12 2009 - 12:43:50 EST

On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 12:06:58PM -0800, Paul E. McKenney wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 04, 2009 at 01:22:00PM +0100, Manfred Spraul wrote:
> > Lai Jiangshan wrote:
> >> I have not posted it. -:)
> >>
> > Could you post it?
> >
> > Paul: What would break if we stop processing rcu entries in (cpu) order?
>
> If I understand, you are suggesting that a given CPU process its RCU
> callbacks out of order. This would break rcu_barrier(), so please do
> not do this.
>
> If I misunderstood what you are suggesting, please enlighten me!

One other thing that might be really cool is for memory freed via RCU to
be treated as if it was cache-cold, which it is unless the RCU callback
needs to write to the memory block. In the case of kfree_rcu(), the
callback should not need to do writes, so it might make sense to handle
the block differently than the typical hot-in-cache free.

Thanx, Paul