Re: [BUG] How to get real-time priority using idle priority

From: Brian Rogers
Date: Mon Jan 12 2009 - 20:05:55 EST

Ingo Molnar wrote:
i've applied your fix to tip/sched/urgent and merged it into tip/master.
Brian, you might want to test tip/master, as per:

http://people.redhat.com/mingo/tip.git/README

which now has this fix included. Can you make it break?
Yeah, I was able to trigger the same freeze again once on my desktop, but it appears to be harder to trigger now. I couldn't get my program to freeze the system, but one of the times I suspended then resumed BOINC, it happened.

While experimenting on my laptop, things got into a funny state where konsole froze, then gnome-terminal froze, so I just started launching xterms. pgrep and pidof would freeze and never terminate. ps axl froze after listing process 23681, which was a BOINC process. The next process, 23682, was another BOINC process. Going into /proc/23682 and running ls -l as root froze the shell. I figured out that ls -l exe was enough to freeze it. I couldn't shut down BOINC because process 23682 wouldn't close, and kill -9 did nothing to it. top, which actually did work, showed that process just continuing to run with around 100% CPU time. I had to power cycle the system.

I'll try Mike's "more complete" patch on top of 2.6.29-rc1 and see what that does.