Re: [linux-dvb] compiling on 2.6.28 broken?

From: handygewinnspiel
Date: Tue Jan 13 2009 - 13:48:21 EST

Dear all,

i was kindly asked to provide some bug report about findutils-4.1.20 in conjunction with linux-2.6.28, so here we are..

> On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 22:06:24 -0200
> Mauro Carvalho Chehab <mchehab@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:21:30 -0800
> > Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > (cc's added)

> the find
> complaining
> result of the
> > >
> > > Not known to me.
> > >
> > > Please prepare a bug report and send it to
> > >
> > > Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > > Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > > linux-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > > linux-fsdevel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> >
> > OK. I'll ask the reporter for him to open a bugzilla.
> >

> An emailed report would be preferred, please. Some people handle bugzilla
> OK. Linux VFS developers are not amongst them ;)

With kernel 2.6.28 and findutils-4.1.20 the "find" utility from this package fails with the error message
"Der Wert ist zu groß für den definierten Datentyp". It randomly fails on different folders, it works on some folders and fails on others.
[code]
find ../ -name *.c
find: ../: Der Wert ist zu groß für den definierten Datentyp
[/code]
translation to English: "The value is too big for defined data type."

If i boot from any other kernel the find utility works again as expected. I tried the following kernels
- 2.6.22.4 = OK
- 2.6.23.1 = OK
- 2.6.26.3 = OK
- 2.6.27.9 = OK
- 2.6.28 = Error

2.6.27.9 and 2.6.28 used the same .config (copy and paste, make oldconfig, make menuconfig to be shure..)

root file system is xfs, system is 32Bit LinuxFromScratch, if this matters. By compiling findutils-4.4.0 i could solve the problem. But still there is the question what happens here and why older ones are broken.

btw: unfortunally i overwrote the old "find" while installing new findutils, but today i tried to re-compile it from old sources and retry and i see exactly the same error behaviour.

Is that something already known?

Best regards,
Winfried Koehler