Re: lowmemory android driver not needed?

From: MinChan Kim
Date: Wed Jan 14 2009 - 01:45:48 EST

Hi, Arve.

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 11:30 AM, Arve HjÃnnevÃg <arve@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The oom killer does not kick in until all caches are emptied. Our user
> space code changes the oom_adj value of processes that are no longer
> in the foreground so that they killed first (the process saves its
> state but does not exit). To avoid excessive demand paging, the low
> memory killer will kill these processes when the memory available
> drops below a threshold.

It have some problems. (drivers/staging/android/lwmemorykiller.c)

1. lowmem_shrink function have to answer about vm's query the cache size fast.
2. it don't consider page size and memory size when it make
lowmem_minfree's values.
3. If system have many processes, for_each_process take a long time.
it may result system latency although lowmemkiller intend to avoid
latency.
4. Most important thing. Could we use memory controller instead of
lowmemkiller ? I am not sure since I don't follow up memory controller
in these days.

I think we have to use existing facility if possible.
Previously, There are similar kinds of patches. but It can't merge
mainline due to some issue. They can comment about lowmemkiller. I
will CC them.