linux kernel without file system

From: Philippe De Muyter
Date: Wed Jan 14 2009 - 03:30:43 EST

Hello list,

I need to design a very small embedded system that must only control
one ethernet port and two serial lines and must fit in a very small flash
memory. So I thought about replacing the call to /etc/init by my application
program and removing all the file-system part of linux.

Is that doable ?

Is there a 'standard' way of doing that ?

The first problem I see is accessing my serial lines. How could I do that
without using open("/dev/ttySx"), which requires a file system ?

Is there a way to access devices that does not require a file-system ?

Thanks for reading this far

Philippe