Re: [patch] SLQB slab allocator

From: Pekka Enberg
Date: Wed Jan 14 2009 - 09:45:47 EST

Hi Nick,

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 4:22 PM, Nick Piggin <npiggin@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> The problem is there was apparently no plan for resolving the SLAB vs SLUB
> strategy. And then features and things were added to one or the other one.
> But on the other hand, the SLUB experience was a success in a way because
> there were a lot of performance regressions found and fixed after it was
> merged, for example.

That's not completely true. I can't speak for Christoph, but the
biggest problem I have is that I have _no way_ of reproducing or
analyzing the regression. I've tried out various benchmarks I have
access to but I haven't been able to find anything.

The hypothesis is that SLUB regresses because of kmalloc()/kfree()
ping-pong between CPUs and as far as I understood, Christoph thinks we
can improve SLUB with the per-cpu alloc patches and the freelist
management rework.

Don't get me wrong, though. I am happy you are able to work with the
Intel engineers to fix the long standing issue (I want it fixed too!)
but I would be happier if the end-result was few simple patches
against mm/slub.c :-).

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 4:22 PM, Nick Piggin <npiggin@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> I'd love to be able to justify replacing SLAB and SLUB today, but actually
> it is simply never going to be trivial to discover performance regressions.
> So I don't think outright replacement is great either (consider if SLUB
> had replaced SLAB completely).

If you ask me, I wish we *had* removed SLAB so relevant people could
have made a huge stink out of it and the regression would have been
taken care quickly ;-).

Pekka