Re: netlabel: UNLABELED ath9k not denying unlabeled traffic

From: Justin P. Mattock
Date: Wed Jan 14 2009 - 11:16:13 EST

Paul Moore wrote:
On Wednesday 14 January 2009 12:18:18 am Justin P. Mattock wrote:
When using netlabelctl on a dell laptop
I'm able to define the addresses that I want:

netlabelctl unlbl add interface:wlan0 address:<radiostation>
label:system_u:object_r:netlabel_peer_t:s0
netlabelctl unlbl add interface:wlan0 address:<myaddress>
label:system_u:object_r:netlabel_peer_t:s0
netlabelctl -p unlbl accept off

{the above was from http://paulmoore.livejournal.com/1758.html };

Hey, somebody actually reads that stuff! I guess I'll need to be careful what I write from now on :)

Hi Justin, on a more serious note, if you are having problems with labeled networking it's probably a good idea to CC the SELinux, LSM and/or netdev lists depending on the issue as I often miss mail if it is only posted to LKML. When in doubt you can just CC me personally (paul.moore@xxxxxx) and I'll add whatever list seems appropriate.

(I'm able to listen to the radio station allowed, then if I choose
another station; if I haven't defined an address like the above,
mplayer just sits there.denying the unlabeled packet. that is until I
allow the address);

Good, that is how it should work give the configuration shown above.

The problem I have is when I do the same on my macbook pro ati
chipset. with the ath9k module, I'm able to listen to any station,
search the web etc..
it seems netlabelctl -p unlbl accept off makes no difference if it's
on or off.

Is this built into ath9k yet, or is there something I'm missing?

That is just plain odd, there isn't really anything that is driver specific. Can you share any more details like kernel version, netlabel_tools verion, distro, etc? I don't have any ath9k hardware lying around to test so I would appreciate whatever additional information you can provide.

Hey alright.(I finally got around to trying netlabelctl out!).

The two systems I have for this are: Dell latitude x200
running ubuntu jaunty, kernel is 2.6.29-rc1.
with netlabel_tools_0.18 which was an rpm packaged
that I converted to .deb.(can't remember the repository where I grabbed it from);
The wireless card for the dell is a dell 1350
using bcmxx(b43-phy0); works great.

The results when using netlabelctl with the dell is nice, i.g. like I said
as soon as I issue netlabelctl unlbl accept off, those addresses not defined
are simply not allowed.(the problem with the dell is I'm not seeing
any allow rules being generated: i.g.

allow netlabel_peer_t netif_t:netif ingress;
allow netlabel_peer_t node_t:node recvfrom;
allow unlabeled_t netif_t:netif ingress;
allow unlabeled_t node_t:node recvfrom;

The next is a macbookpro ati chipset the kernel is 2.6.29-rc1
the o.s. is ubuntu jaunty, the netlabel_tools is the same as above.
the only results I see out of this is the avc's it's generating
(the allow rules above are from the macbook);
some reason the dell doesn't generate any avc's,
which makes me wonder is this a module issue.

Also I've gone through thinking, well maybe this is avc's driven,
i.g. each address once added by netlabelctl receives a certain allow rule
(like the allow rules above),
if not either no allow rule is given to it,resulting in a denial you can't see in dmesg,
or a denial that just won't be allowed by checkpolicy.
So after seeing if this was the case I was left with an address defined by
netlabel(allowed) and defined the allow rules that it had created.
unfortunately after all of that I still was able to turn on another radio
station that had no address in netlabelctl's unlbl database.(and no allow rule
with SELinux);
leading me to believe that the netlabel area or driver isn't working
properly. or just told to not enforce the netlabel accept off option.

As for the list, I have linux-wireless in my address book(not sure which is right);

regards;

Justin P. Mattock