Re: [linux-dvb] compiling on 2.6.28 broken?

From: Lachlan McIlroy
Date: Wed Jan 14 2009 - 17:55:30 EST

Eric Sandeen wrote:
Andrew Morton wrote:
On Wed, 14 Jan 2009 15:35:46 -0600
Eric Sandeen <sandeen@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Chris Mason wrote:
On Wed, 2009-01-14 at 22:19 +0100, wk wrote:
I cannot fully understand what strace -v outputs (see attachment), but what i see is that 'find' stops after finding a file with d_off = 4294967295
4294967295 = 0xFFFFFFFF, adding any number greater that zero will be greater that 32bits, so this could be the reason for the message "value too large".

I also noticed that i cannot access these files through samba if i boot from 2.6.28 - really strange.
If i reboot older kernels these are visible in samba again and fully accessible.

Attached the log from stracing the command which was ivoked by the Makefile from v4l-dvb.
I guess this is all i could contribute to that problem. Thats stuff for xfs filesystem experts now..
Seems suspect indeed. Could you please attach the strace for the run
that works on the older kernel?
Chris got my attention on this one; you probably want this fix from hch:

Looks likely. It is below, for anyone who would like to test it.

It is in linux-next. Guys, do we plan to merge this into 2.6.29?

It should be merged there, yes. Was hoping that sgi would request that
soon....
I was going to do it yesterday after merging in another patch series but
there was problem with one of the patches. I'll get a pull request out
real soon.

(cc's stable@xxxxxxxxxx)

This patch applies OK to 2.6.27 and 2.6.28. Is it also needed there? If so, it should have had "Cc: <stable@xxxxxxxxxx>" in the changelog so
that it doesn't get lost.

It is needed for .28, but should not be needed for .27 AFAIK.

-Eric