Re: Is 386 processor still supported?

From: Jan-Benedict Glaw
Date: Thu Jan 15 2009 - 07:36:41 EST

On Tue, 2009-01-13 01:06:55 +0000, Maciej W. Rozycki <macro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Myself, I could not resist trying an APIC-based 486 SMP box and possibly
> fixing issues if I found one and it was MPS-compliant, but nothing beyond
> that I would say. Life's too short.

While it is not SMP, I still have one or two working i386 (and
a compatible AMD) system around.

Back in the days where I ran them the last time, there were two
issues:

* Debian's baseline libc is compiled to use LOCK and some other
newish instructions that are not available on a real i386 CPU.
* There was a patch flying around to introduce a kernel-based
emulator for those instructions. However, this was (at that time)
neither included in Debian's kernel, nor in the upstream sources.

MfG, JBG

--
Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@xxxxxxxxxx +49-172-7608481
Signature of: http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/faqs/questions.html