Re: lowmemory android driver not needed?

From: Paul Mundt
Date: Fri Jan 16 2009 - 04:05:50 EST

On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 03:44:04PM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 15, 2009 at 07:02:48PM +0530, Trilok Soni wrote:
> > And there is one more lowmem driver developed by Nokia for Nokia 8xx
> > tablets it seems. CCed Tony Lindgren, Juha and Viktor.
> >
> > http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/tmlind/linux-omap-2.6.git;a=blob;f=security/lowmem.c;h=ae78a530af39703e335ad769f1e6f097f63ec6dd;hb=HEAD
>
> As we can't stack LSMs, using the lsm interface for a simple memory
> driver seems pretty wasteful :)

The heuristics and tunables are more what ended up being useful with this
module, which could trivially be abstracted out. The focus of the lowmem
module was mostly giving userspace an opportunity to change its behaviour,
and to try to save critical state. I don't know how well this would map
to the Android use cases, though.