Re: kbuild: install to a single directory

From: Michael Tokarev
Date: Sun Jan 18 2009 - 16:24:35 EST

Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> This proposed change will collect all kernel modules in the
> single directory, e.g. /lib/modules/2.6.29-rc2/kernel/, without
> any further directory structure. About 475 inodes (with
> almost-allmodconfig) less are used, which should result
> in faster directory traversal (less seeks).

While I agree that current deep-n-wide directory structure is
not very useful.. It still helps in many situations. For
example, I sometimes need to remember which module name this
particular scsi or network or [s]ata controller needs, and
looking at /lib/modules/$foo/kernel/driver/scsi is usually
sufficient since there isn't many of them in there. Or,
see (old, compat) -t option to modprobe(8).

In the other words, if to change anything at all, something
in-between is needed instead. No current deep-n-wide often
single-driver-in-directory structure, and not everything in
one place either.

Maybe add a make variable to tell kbuild to use specified
directory to install modules in this dir to, or to specify
that "this module should go to the parent dir" (eliminates
many driver-in-a-dir cases).

/mjt