Re: PROBLEM: Can't boot a (HZ = 1000) kernel using an AMD Phenom-IIprocessor

From: Mark Hounschell
Date: Mon Jan 19 2009 - 09:55:58 EST

Borislav Petkov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 07:38:36AM -0500, Mark Hounschell wrote:
>> I upgraded from a Phenom to a Phenom-II processor and I could no longer boot.
>>
>> I have tried kernels from 2.6.26 through 2.6.28.
>>
>> I _can_ however boot these kernels when they are configured for HZ = 250. I
>> haven't tried HZ = 300. But certainly if HZ = 1000 the boot hangs at the spot
>> indicated below in the dmesg output.
>>
>> The machine is up and stable running 2.6.26.8 with a (HZ = 1000) configured kernel.
>>
>> While running a 2.6.26.8 kernel configured for HZ = 250:
>>
>> /proc/version:
>>
>> Linux version 2.6.26.8 (root@harley) (gcc version 4.3.1 20080507 (prerelease)
>> [gcc-4_3-branch revision 135036] (SUSE Linux) ) #2 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 17
>> 16:37:58 EST 2009
>>

>> scripts/ver_linux:
>>
>> If some fields are empty or look unusual you may have an old version.
>> Compare to the current minimal requirements in Documentation/Changes.
>>
>> Linux harley 2.6.26.8 #2 SMP PREEMPT Sat Jan 17 16:37:58 EST 2009 i686 athlon
>> i386 GNU/Linux
>>
>> Gnu C 4.3
>> Gnu make 3.81
>> binutils 11.0
>> 2.18.50.20080409
>> 11.1
>> util-linux 2.13.1
>> mount 2.13.1
>> module-init-tools 3.4
>> e2fsprogs 1.40.8
>> reiserfsprogs 3.6.19
>> PPP 2.4.4
>> Linux C Library 2.8
>> Dynamic linker (ldd) 2.8
>> Procps 3.2.7
>> Net-tools 1.60
>> Kbd 1.12
>> Sh-utils 6.11
>> udev 120
>> wireless-tools 29
>> Modules Loaded ip6t_LOG xt_tcpudp xt_pkttype ipt_LOG xt_limit
>> snd_pcm_oss snd_mixer_oss snd_seq snd_seq_device appletalk ax25 ipx p8023
>> ip6t_REJECT nf_conntrack_ipv6 ipt_REJECT xt_state iptable_mangle iptable_nat
>> nf_nat iptable_filter ip6table_mangle nf_conntrack_netbios_ns nf_conntrack_ipv4
>> nf_conntrack ip_tables ip6table_filter ip6_tables x_tables ipv6 fuse loop dm_mod
>> snd_hda_intel snd_pcm snd_timer ati_agp nvidia snd ppdev rtc_cmos ide_cd_mod
>> i2c_piix4 parport_pc rtc_core usb_storage usblp soundcore cdrom agpgart
>> snd_page_alloc parport rtc_lib e1000e ide_disk i2c_core sg ehci_hcd ohci_hcd
>> sd_mod usbcore ssb e1000 sky2 edd ext3 mbcache jbd aic7xxx scsi_transport_spi
>> atiixp ide_core ahci pata_jmicron libata scsi_mod dock
>>

>> /proc/cpuinfo:
>>
>> processor : 0
>> vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
>> cpu family : 16
>> model : 4
>> model name : AMD Processor model unknown
>
> judging from the processor name string it looks like your BIOS doesn't
> program the processor name properly which could mean that you need
> [...]

Yes, I am running 32 bit kernels. Also as I stated in my original post the MB
does report "AMD Processor model unknown" at post. I assume a BIOS update
will be forth coming. Actually when the Phonom-I was installed it was an upgrade
(well it turned out to be a downgrade) from an AMD X2 6400+. The BIOS at that
time reported the same thing until there was a BIOS update for it. Also FWIW,
at that time I was able to boot a HZ=1000 kernel. Don't remember looking at the
lpj values though.

Regards
Mark