Re: lmbench lat_mmap slowdown with CONFIG_PARAVIRT

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Jan 20 2009 - 06:27:20 EST

* Nick Piggin <npiggin@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm looking at regressions since 2.6.16, and one is lat_mmap has slowed
> down. On further investigation, a large part of this is not due to a
> _regression_ as such, but the introduction of CONFIG_PARAVIRT=y.
>
> Now, it is true that lat_mmap is basically a microbenchmark, however it
> is exercising the memory mapping and page fault handler paths, so we're
> talking about pretty important paths here. So I think it should be of
> interest.
>
> I've run the tests on a 2s8c AMD Barcelona system, binding the test to
> CPU0, and running 100 times (stddev is a bit hard to bring down, and my
> scripts needed 100 runs in order to pick up much smaller changes in the
> results -- for CONFIG_PARAVIRT, just a couple of runs should show up the
> problem).
>
> Times I believe are in nanoseconds for lmbench, anyway lower is better.
>
> non pv AVG=464.22 STD=5.56
> paravirt AVG=502.87 STD=7.36
>
> Nearly 10% performance drop here, which is quite a bit... hopefully
> people are testing the speed of their PV implementations against non-PV
> bare metal :)

Ouch, that looks unacceptably expensive. All the major distros turn
CONFIG_PARAVIRT on. paravirt_ops was introduced in x86 with the express
promise to have no measurable runtime overhead.

( And i suspect the real life mmap cost is probably even more expensive,
as on a Barcelona all of lmbench fits into the cache hence we dont see
any real $cache overhead. )

Jeremy, any ideas where this slowdown comes from and how it could be
fixed?

Ingo