Re: libata, devm_*, and MSI ?

From: Mark Lord
Date: Tue Jan 20 2009 - 11:08:05 EST

Mark Lord wrote:
Tejun / Jeff,

I am working on MSI support for sata_mv, and am trying to puzzle out
exactly what the kernel expects for this. Looking at other drivers,
both libata and otherwise, yields a variety of conflicting implementations.

For starters, the MSI HOW-TO suggests that drivers must be careful
to invoke pci_disable_msi() on module unload, but I don't see that
happening anywhere in libata.

Unless, Tejun, the devm_* routines automatically do this.. do they?

Next, there's no mention of a need for invoking pci_intx() in the HOW-TO,
yet some device drivers call it, and others do not.

Eg. from ahci.c, we have this:

if ((hpriv->flags & AHCI_HFLAG_NO_MSI) || pci_enable_msi(pdev))
pci_intx(pdev, 1);

Which agrees with the existing code in sata_mv:

if (msi && pci_enable_msi(pdev))
pci_intx(pdev, 1);

Which seems to call pci_intx() only when MSI is *not* used. Fine.
But then in sata_vsc.c, we do sort of the opposite:

if (pci_enable_msi(pdev) == 0)
pci_intx(pdev, 0);

Either that one is wrong, or pci_intx() is unnecessary in all cases.
Again, the MSI HOW-TO doesn't even mention this routine.

Looking through the network drivers, it seems that some of them
do the pci_intx(pdev,1) call for the cases where pci_enable_msi() fails,
similar to ahci.c and sata_mv.c.

But not all of them do that.
..

Looking through drivers/pci/*, it appears that the call to pci_intx()
should be totally redundant. pci_enable_msi() does pci_intx(pdev,0)
on success only, and doesn't touch it otherwise.

Similarly, pci_disable_msi() does pci_intx(pdev,1).

So, where does libata cause pci_disable_msi() to be invoked?
Or is that just missing at the moment?

Thanks.