Re: Confusion in usr/include/asm-generic/fcntl.h

From: Arnd Bergmann
Date: Tue Jan 20 2009 - 19:24:52 EST

On Wednesday 21 January 2009, David Miller wrote:
> From: Jaswinder Singh Rajput <jaswinder@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 05:34:17 +0530
>
> > usr/include/asm-generic/fcntl.h is giving 2 'make headers_check' warnings:
> > usr/include/asm-generic/fcntl.h:127: leaks CONFIG_64BIT to userspace where it is not valid
> > usr/include/asm-generic/fcntl.h:149: leaks CONFIG_64BIT to userspace where it is not valid
> >
> > usr/include/asm-generic/fcntl.h:
> > #ifndef CONFIG_64BIT will always be true for userspace. So what is the use of #ifndef CONFIG_64BIT ?
>
> Good catch.
>
> This file needs to test for 64-bit'ness using some non-CONFIG_*
> test. And the standard built-in CPP macros which can be used
> to check for that are different on every platform.

I think we should simply define a macro for use in the kernel, e.g. in
<asm/types.h>. There already is a BITS_PER_LONG macro in there, maybe
we can add an exported __BITS_PER_LONG there that checks for the right
macro on each architecture.

On parisc, there is a major confusion in this area, at some point, all
checks for __LP64__ got replaced with CONFIG_64BIT there. While I have
not understood what the problem with __LP64__ was, the check for
CONFIG_64BIT on parisc user space looks very wrong.

Arnd <><