Re: lockdep and debug objects together are broken?

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Wed Jan 21 2009 - 06:58:18 EST

* Nick Piggin <npiggin@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 12:42:29PM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:
> >
> > * Nick Piggin <npiggin@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > Are you sure? Ie. sysrq+D a still works properly? In that case, you
> > > wouldn't need the lockdep patch because it just prevents the feature from being
> > > switched off.
> > >
> > > I'll have to dig a bit further, then. The annoying thing is that
> > > lockdep turns itself off at the drop of a hat (and this particular
> > > problem seems to happen without any backtraces), so it invalidates
> > > all your lockdep testing if you don't realise it has turned itself
> > > off.
> > >
> > > Is there a way to re-arm lockdep? That would be neat.
> >
> > Not at the moment, and it looks somewhat complicated. All lock state
> > freezes the moment lockdep disarms itself. That's very much a key design
> > element: rarely will you see any real lockdep-inflicted crash - even if it
> > has a bug it is self-disabling itself and running for the door very
> > efficiently.
>
> Lockdep isn't exactly for production systems though, is it? If you want
> to debug some problem but you have other code (that you don't have
> knowledge to debug) is switching it off...
>
> Also, I'd guess that most bugs in lockdep would probably fall pretty
> neatly into either the "pretty harmless" or "completely take down the
> system" categories ;)

i think lockdep could be expanded into production use via code patching
techniques.

So in that sense the rearm bit could be useful - it would give us a
lockdep variant that would run for the first 5 minutes of uptime (where
90% of all lockdep reports trigger: lockdep maps the dependencies very
quickly) - and could turn itself off after that, and patch out / disable
its callbacks.

The memory footprint would still remain, but that is not nearly as much of
a problem for production systems as runtime overhead.

Ingo