Re: e1000e regression (interface hang) with latest -git

From: Waskiewicz Jr, Peter P
Date: Wed Jan 21 2009 - 13:13:29 EST

> * Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > The same point remains though: it worked before (and works fine with a
> > distro kernel, 2.6.28-0.140.rc9.git1.fc11.x86_64) and doesnt work with
> > latest -git.
> >
> > I'll capture some debug data and send it to you.
>
> find attached the debug data:
>
> ethtool.dump.eth0.before
> ethtool.dump.eth0.after
> ethtool.dump.eth0.after2
> boot.log
> config
>
> the 'before' dump is before the hang, shortly after bootup. It also
> includes 'ifconfig eth0' output.
>
> the 'after' dump is after the hang - while the interface is hung.
>
> 'after2' dump is after a 'service network restart' - which brought the
> interface back.
>
> Note if i wait long enough (half an hour or so), then not even 'service
> network restart' will bring back the device.
>
> The kernel i tested is: v2.6.29-rc2-13-gf3b8436

As Bruce stated, this is an igb issue, not e1000e. From your boot.log:

igb: eth0 NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: RX/TX
igb: eth0 NIC Link is Up 1000 Mbps Full Duplex, Flow Control: RX/TX

One other piece of info (in addition to what Bruce requested) that would
be useful is after you've done ifconfig eht0 up, cat /proc/interrupts |
grep eth0 and send that output (I want to see your MSI-X configuration).

Cheers,
-PJ Waskiewicz