Re: "permanently" unbind a device from a driver?

From: Greg KH
Date: Wed Jan 21 2009 - 13:26:20 EST

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 05:20:45PM -0000, Sam Liddicott wrote:
> * Greg KH wrote, On 21/01/09 16:23:

> >> Is it possible to implement a generic blacklist mechanism in driver core
> >> to support the function for all kinds of drivers? or is it necessary to do that?
> >>

> > It's not necessary as the hid core already supports this very thing due
> > to the need for it (it's the easiest way to write a userspace Windows
> > driver, so lots of manufacturers lie about their devices in order to
> > work around having to write a Windows kernel driver.)
> >
> > So just add this device to the hid core blacklist, and you are all set.
> >
> > Care to send a patch?
> >

> I've often felt that a /proc or /sys interface to allow blacklist
> additions or quirk addition would be great.

Some subsystems support this, like the HID subsystem :)

It is a subsystem-specific thing as they all do their binding in
different ways, we can't make this "generic" very easily, sorry.

> Hacking of new devices often runs faster than distro's kernel releases;
> it will often be very simple to distribute a 1 liner to make some
> hardware available than tell people to wait until the next major release
> of their distro.
>
> As a point in instance, a couple of years ago I gave up trying to get
> some quirks added for usb dual and quad joystick adaptors. I got them
> added for one of them but not the other. It was just too much hard work.

Where did you send them? That shouldn't happen, sorry about that.

> An user-space post-boot uploadable quirk/blacklist would be great and
> IMHO result in a bigger supply of quirks.

Again, some subsystems, like HID already support this.

thanks,

greg k-h