Re: ext4 no space left

From: Theodore Tso
Date: Wed Jan 21 2009 - 17:07:36 EST

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 07:15:26PM +0100, Victor Pelt wrote:
> upgrading to 2.6.29-rc2-git1 did allow me to use most of the space but
> i still can't quite use all of it. maybe this is to be expected.

No, it's not to be expected. You should be able to use everything up
to 100% of what is reported by df. There is the 5% reserved blocks
which only root is allowed to use, but df takes that into account. So
if you can't use that last 62944k reported by df after a reboot, and
df -i reports enough inodes, that's definitely a bug in ext4.

Would you be willing to send me a compressed raw e2image file? You
can generate it as follows:

e2image -r /dev/hda2 - | bzip2 > /tmp/hda2.e2i.bz2

Ideally this should be done while the filesystem is unmounted, or
mounted read-only.

It will give me a copy of the filesystem metadata, but no data blocks.
That will allow me to try to replicate the problem on my system. It
will probably be still too large e-mail, so if you can put it up on
some web or ftp server, and send me the URL, that would be best.

Thanks!!

- Ted