Re: 2.6.29-rc libata sff 32bit PIO regression

From: Sergei Shtylyov
Date: Wed Jan 21 2009 - 18:38:18 EST

Hello, I wrote:

> I've a Dell Precision 670 here (four-year-old EM64T Xeon with ata_piix)
> which doesn't like your commit 871af1210f13966ab911ed2166e4ab2ce775b99d
> libata: Add 32bit PIO support. Full dmesg (and .config) attached, but
> here's an extract showing the start of the error messages on ata2:
Cool - so we need two different 32bit PIO methods - at least according to
the docs for the AMD we should use entirely 32bit I/O there. Fun fun
Could you refer me to the exact AMD doc that requires that?

AMD762 page 82, under DevB:1x40 bit 14 and bit 12

What exactly AMD-762 document has this? I'm not seeing it in either stasheet ot software/BIOS design guide. Besides, AMD-762 is a north bridge and doesn't include IDE.

Finally found it in the AMD-768 datasheet.

"Note: only 32-bit writes to the data port are allowed when this bit is
set."
Now tell me who forces you to set that bit (I assume it's the write buffer enable) for the ATAPI devices?

Yes, it's the write buffer enable (about which I have written already).
\
MBR, Sergei