Re: How to generate a Kerntypes file?

From: Cliff Wickman
Date: Thu Jan 22 2009 - 08:29:33 EST

Hi Jason,

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 06:59:34PM +0800, jidong xiao wrote:
> Hi,All,
>
> Sometimes when I install a kernel I saw there is a Kerntypes file
> installed under /boot directory, but sometimes no, I remember when I
> install a sles9 kernel, there must be a Kerntypes file installed, but
> most of other kernels doesn't include such a Kerntypes file. This file
> is very useful for me to do some analysis, so I hope I can generate it
> every time I build a kernel. Do I need a patch for this or there are
> already some patches I can take use of?Thanks.

You had a init/kerntypes.c in sles9 and sles10. It included a lot
of basic kernel types. It was compiled with -g to make the kerntypes.
I presume that you used the LKCD project's lcrash with the kerntypes.

If you download lkcd (lkcd.svn.sourceforge.net) you also build a
tool called dwarfextract. It is able to pull all the structure
definitions out of a -g (CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO) kernel and any selected
modules. That is useful with the lcrash command.

If you want to analyze your live system or a dump with the crash command
(people.redhat.com/~anderson/) you don't need the kerntypes, as you use
the -g kernel itself. Although you may make kerntypes with dwarfextract
and use them with crash also.

-Cliff

> Regards
> Jason