Re: [GIT PULL] Squashfs pull request for 2.6.29

From: Randy Dunlap
Date: Thu Jan 22 2009 - 16:59:34 EST

Dave Jones wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 08:30:18AM -0800, Greg KH wrote:
>
> > I was wanting to stick with drivers to start with, but I really have no
> > objection to adding filesystems, if they are self-contained, to the
> > drivers/staging/ directory.
> >
> > I looked at adding squashfs, but at the time, it touched other portions
> > of the kernel which wouldn't have made it a good canidate for staging.
> > This was later resolved, and now that it is merged, it's a moot issue :)
> >
> > So, if anyone wants to send me filesystems, I'll be glad to take them
> > into drivers/staging, as long as they are self-contained (novfs for
> > example would fit this category.)
>
> Filesystems in staging worries me.
>
> * The number of people who competently review filesystem code
> (and I mean real review here, not checkpatch & codingstyle crap)
> is significantly less than those who review drivers.
> I foresee stuff just lingering there for years.
> (Look how long fs stuff hangs around unmerged in -mm for example).
>
> * The fallout of staging is already starting to drift into distros.
> Within a week of Fedora shipping a kernel that had staging/
> we had requests to enable drivers from it.
> And of course, those drivers were garbage.
> This is only going to increase as time goes on.
>
> * For crap drivers that a minority cares about, this isn't a big deal
> to tell the users "build it yourself, we don't support it when stuff breaks".
> (And a lot of that crap will break. NetworkManager won't work properly
> with some of the wireless crap in staging for example), but by
> continually adding to the shitpile the potential for review dramatically
> gets reduced, and for something as critical as a filesystem, I find this
> absolutely terrifying from a support perspective.
>
> I don't mean to piss on your parade, but from my viewpoint, staging
> is a trainwreck so far, and I'd hate to see it get worse.
>
> We've already demonstrated "look how much stuff we can merge" time and
> time again, but no-one ever seems to have a proposal for how we increase
> the amount of review code gets before it's merged.
>
> There's lowering the barrier for entry, and there's not having a barrier at all.
> The latter is what I'm concerned that staging/ has become.

I agree. Alexey D. asked about that a few days ago and the Greg's answer
about what he would accept was "anything". Ugh ugh ugh. I did not like
that reply at all.

I agree that crap is the right name for lots of it. For the ones that
people & distros care about, someone should step up and do some real
work on them.

~Randy