Re: System clock runs too fast after 2.6.27 -> 2.6.28.1 upgrade

From: john stultz
Date: Fri Jan 23 2009 - 20:36:43 EST

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 3:04 AM, Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> * john stultz <johnstul@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> I'd think this would ideally be more of a subarch in the config
>> selection like the AMD Elan is, so folks know it really is not just a
>> extra-support feature and in fact limits what hardware you can use the
>> resulting kernel on.
>
> a better solution is that if RDC is set [it is unset by default] we should
> turn PIT_TICK_RATE into a variable, defaulting it to 1193182. If a real
> RDC or ELAN system is running, that variable is changed during early
> bootup, in the init functions for those platforms.

Took a quick look at this, and I don't see any detection code for
either RDC. The X86_ELAN config also has no conditionals, but maybe
the elan cpufreq code can help here.

Florian: Is there any way we can check very early (ie: in setup_arch)
for an RDC box?

Robert Schwebel, Sven Geggus: Either of you still maintaining the ELAN
code? Will the following from elanfreq_cpu_init catch all ELAN chips?

if ((c->x86_vendor != X86_VENDOR_AMD) ||
(c->x86 != 4) || (c->x86_model != 10))

thanks
-john