Switching from (deprecated) IDE driver -> SATA (PATA support)

From: Justin Piszcz
Date: Sun Jan 25 2009 - 05:56:45 EST

When switching (removing IDE support) in favor of the new PATA support under the SATA menu, is there any best practice/or method of knowing what the new root hdd will be upon reboot?

Example:
If I have 10 sata disks and 2 IDE disks on various cards/controllers, how do I know /dev/hda will become /dev/sda? In one test on a system I have here, /dev/hda became /dev/sdb2 after reboot, not an issue if the box is local, but if the box is remote, how do you cope with this? I ask now because some IDE drivers have been removed (nvidia I believe? in 2.6.28) and I cannot upgrade the kernel anymore unless I move to the PATA-supported SATA driver, but I have no idea what the root disk will be after a reboot and there is a high probability it will not come back after a reboot..

Justin.